Old 12-08-2010, 03:43 AM posted to rec.gardens
JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] JoeSpareBedroom[_2_] is offline

Default Extreme newbie needs tools recommendations

"Bill who putters" wrote in message
In article , RPS
wrote:

I am looking for recommendations for best value in gardening tools,
above Home Depot level but not the absolutely best and priciest. I
already have a good shovel and watering arrangement, but need the
following -

Pruner: At Amazon I shortlisted Coronas. Also found a Bahco for $12
plus shipping.

Folding Hand saw, 5"-7": Felco, Corona, Fiskar, ARS?

Trowel:

Cultivator:

I don't have a short-list in these categories but am awars of brands
like Radius, Fiskar, Corona, Ames, etc.

Thanks for all help.

Nothing wrong with starting out with tools that you will have to
replace latter. I favor Japanese hand tools for esthetics and comfort.
Mine have square wooden heads not round (boasting).

That said http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/index.aspx has
many options I went with the gone Smith& Hawkins that carried Bulldog
tools. As you can see it is a jungle out here.

I think it's cruel to tease people by mentioning tools they cannot buy any
more, like Smith & Hawken. But it's a fun kinda cruelty. :-)

WTF happened to that company anyway? Did the entire executive staff start
mainlining heroin or something? One day, they have actual tools and the
next, they'll selling useless decorative crap.