Old 12-08-2010, 07:39 PM posted to rec.gardens
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Cost of sprinkler system? ? ?

On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 12:37:44 -0400, "Ray"
wrote:

"Steve B" wrote in message

"Ray" wrote in message
I realize that I'm asking a question that has a thousand variable answers,
but I'd like to get some general idea of the cost of an automatic
sprinkler system for our front lawn which is about "average" size.

Basically I'd just like to hear what some others might have paid for
installing a system.

Are you going to install, or have it done?

Steve

I'll certainly consider doing it myself, hiring our yard man to do the
digging.

The pros don't dig, they use a machine that cuts a knife slit and
simultaneoulsy buries the piping to the proper depth in a way that
leaves the soil undisturbed so that the excavation is invisable....
paying someone to dig that kind of trenching by hand will cost more,
and create a huge mess that will require many years to heal. Most of
the cost is indoors, in the control parts, the electricals and
plumbing. No one here can give you an estimate anymore than any
honest contractor will give you an estimate over the phone, they need
to see your property and discusss options. I'd not suggest DIY, there
is much to know about designing a system and in many municipalities
auto sprinkler systems require a permit and code inspection. I would
also strongly suggest taking the extended warranty and contract for
ongoing maintanence... there is lot that goes wrong with these
systems, especially vandalism when in front yards.