Old 13-08-2010, 06:42 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default What kind of pruner do I want?!

On 8/12/10 9:36 PM, Steve B wrote:
"RPS" wrote in message
OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

Fiskars. I bought this one at Home Depot. The thing I like about it is
that it has gears on the jaws which multiply the action, making it a lot
easier to cut with. They are stout, and I've had this one for about five
years. I've cut some pretty hard and large stuff with it. The gearing is
where it's at, because the others just use leverage, and if you are stronger
than the shears, they will break.

Steve

I happen to prefer hook-and-blade (bypass) over blade-and-anvil.
However, this is really a matter of taste.

Contrary to Steve B, however, I recommend against any hand shears that
use levers or gears to magnify the cutting force. Any branch so large
or tough that magnified force is required should be cut instead with
lopping shears (long-handled shears) or even with a pruning saw. The
same recommendation applies to lopping shears; I would not buy them if
they have levers or grears to magnify the cutting force.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean