Old 13-08-2010, 01:00 PM posted to rec.gardens
Dan L Dan L is offline

Default What kind of pruner do I want?!

brooklyn1 wrote:
On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 23:13:54 -0500, RPS wrote:

OK, here is a beginner question to get you guys amused: What is the
difference between various pruner types, e.g., Anvil and Bypass? What
kind does a serious beginner want, which is not an overkill but also
won't need replacing next year?

It mostly depends on *what* you're cutting. For delicates like
flowers and rose bushes bypass hand pruners are best, they don't crush
stems like anvil types. For heavier jobs like clearing brush where a
lot of dead wood is also encountered anvil type pruners/loppers work
well. After years of experience I've learned to buy the very best
tools, they last and are much less fatiguing. always remember "cheap
is expensive"... with that choose the lightest weight tool that will
do the job, heavy weight loppers will wear you out in short order.
Nowadaya I think Fiskars makes the best pruners, loppers, and
especially pruning saws... their PowerGear tools are excellent.
http://www2.fiskars.com/Products/Yard-and-Garden

Yes yes... Anvils for dead wood. Bypass for green. Also when buying
loppers, get one that has a bumper on it. This keeps your fingers from
greeting crushed when pruning.

Enjoy Life... Dan Using an iPad