Old 13-08-2010, 12:44 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George[_10_] George[_10_] is offline

Default cutting back tomatoes

I've read that "... about a month before frost, cut back the growing
tips of [indeterminate?] tomatoes ...", so as not to waste the plants'
energy on fruits that won't have time to mature. We have Cherokee
Purples, and it's getting close to that time.

But, simply put, I'm not clear on where to cut. The tip of every
stem/stalk/vine? What about flowers? What about leaves - are all
leaves an asset at the end of the season, or just those on fruit-bearing
stems?

Any insight/experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

G-