Old 13-08-2010, 08:32 PM posted to rec.gardens
Chris[_14_] Chris[_14_] is offline

Default I want to grow cucumbers and pumpkins

On Aug 13, 12:07*pm, John McGaw wrote:
On 8/13/2010 4:58 AM, donhkcs wrote: For several years I have tried to plant a garden of different vegetables
in my backyard and have had no success. I do not know what I am doing
wrong. The place where I have decided to plant the garden gets a lot of
sun light during the day plus it does get shade. I have used many
different fertilizers to get to grow but nothing seems to work. I want
to grow cucumbers and pumpkins this summer. What do I need to do to get
my garden to grow?

What happens to the plants? I am far far from an expert but if you've been
fertilizing heavily you might have over-done it and poisoned everything you
plant there. How is the drainage? Neither plant you name is difficult to
grow as long as you aren't looking for record-breaking results. Is there
any place you can have a soil analysis done so that you will know what your
starting point is? There is always the fallback of adding organic matter to
the soil and it never hurts and almost always helps.

Also, when did you plant? Did you check your USDA zone? Cukes are
pretty quick but pumpkins need a long growing season. Also, were you
planning on starting them from seed, or as seedlings from a garden
store? I would avoid places like Wal Mart and Home Depot for
seedlings- better to go to a garden store that's been around a while.
If you are in the rural US you could give a call to your county
agricultural extension agent, and if you're in an urban area, give the
local botanic garden a ring.

What about watering? How much, and what time of day? Try to water
before the sun is full on the plants, but not at night (that might
encourage fungus growth).

Chris