Old 13-08-2010, 10:54 PM posted to rec.gardens

Default I want to grow cucumbers and pumpkins

donhkcs wrote:
For several years I have tried to plant a garden of different
vegetables in my backyard and have had no success. I do not know what
I am doing wrong. The place where I have decided to plant the garden
gets a lot of sun light during the day plus it does get shade. I have
used many different fertilizers to get to grow but nothing seems to
work. I want to grow cucumbers and pumpkins this summer. What do I
need to do to get my garden to grow?

We cannot say what you are doing wrong either without more information.

Where are you, what is the soil like, how many hours per day of sunlight do
you get, what have you tried growing and what specifically went wrong?

To generalise, to grow cucurbits well you need warm soil to germinate and a
warm to hot summer which is fairly long, rich soil and regular watering.
Cucumbers would deal with less than perfect conditions better than pumpkins.
Pumpkins need a lot of space compared to most veges, one good plant could
cover 20 sq m.

David