Old 14-08-2010, 12:02 AM posted to rec.gardens
Paul M. Cook Paul M. Cook is offline

Default Sun split tomatoes

Despite a very mild summer, temps barely in the low 90s at worst, my
celebrities have come in and are sun split. They have latitudinal splits
starting at the stem end. They taste great, are rather large compared to
last year and overall a good crop. But what accounts for the splitting of
the skin? I just harvested 20 tomatoes and all but 2 were split to some
degree. Of course organic tomatoes are cosmetically imperfect but I'd like
to address this next year if possible.