Old 14-08-2010, 05:10 AM posted to rec.gardens
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Sun split tomatoes

"Paul M. Cook" wrote in message
"Frank" wrote in message
On 8/13/2010 7:02 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:
Despite a very mild summer, temps barely in the low 90s at worst, my
celebrities have come in and are sun split. They have latitudinal
splits
starting at the stem end. They taste great, are rather large compared
last year and overall a good crop. But what accounts for the splitting
of
the skin? I just harvested 20 tomatoes and all but 2 were split to some
degree. Of course organic tomatoes are cosmetically imperfect but I'd
like
to address this next year if possible.

First thought was too much water but googling indicates it is caused by
erratic watering:

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/splittomatoes.htm

I think I'll try growing something easy next time, like orchids.
Honestly, I put all my pots on automatic watering 2 months ago. They get
the exact same 5 minute twice a day from these 360 degree emitters.

I tried to warn you about inconsistent watering in June when you complained
about BER and you didn't believe me then. Rather than take up orchids, give
up on pots and put the toms in the ground. Even if you have to do a lot or
work to prepare the soil, it'll make you life easier in the end.