Old 14-08-2010, 04:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Help needed identifying plant

"ugo82" wrote
No Name;897285 Wrote:
Nick Maclaren wrote:-
Not really. It's more poisonous than deadly nightshade, but that's
not saying much. By tropical standards, it's only ordinarily
poisonous - nothing exceptional. I agree that it's very poisonous
by UK standards.-

Speaking of poisonous plants - the mexican hat plant that I was told to
warn
people about at the school summer fete in case they bought one and they
had
children or pets who might eat it ... has been munched to shreds by
slugs
and snails! (and maybe puppy dog tails)

yeah this had been pretty well eaten by slugs/snails as you can tell in
the pictures. i also learnt that it's supposed to be a pretty powerful
hallucinogenic/narcotic depending on how you ingest it but it's not
often used as the dose for those effects and the dose where you die are
pretty close! it's gone now anyhow, she has a cat so as soon as the
poisionous angle was mentioned it got chopped down before the seed pods
could open. thanks for the info tho, it's been most helpful

I bet she still has lillies in her garden? The pollen from them is lethal to
cats, they die a slow death as their internal organs stop working. Just have
to get some on their fur and lick it off.
Whereas cats are rather unlikely to chew on a Datura.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden