Old 14-08-2010, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Help needed identifying plant

"Nick Maclaren" wrote in message

Thorn apple (Datura stramonium). It is one of the more poisonous plants
out there. (If I understand correctly it's in the same range as deadly
nightshade and hemlock.)

Not really. It's more poisonous than deadly nightshade, but that's
not saying much. By tropical standards, it's only ordinarily
poisonous - nothing exceptional. I agree that it's very poisonous
by UK standards.

Do you not consider Digitalis purpurea, Convallaria majalis, Conium
maculatum, and Aconitum napellus (all native to the UK) very poisonous
plants? Granted, they may not be in the same class as Ricinus and Abrus, but
not much is!

--

Jeff