Old 15-08-2010, 12:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore[_2_] Pam Moore[_2_] is offline

Default Overwinter an allotment - green manure?

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:35:42 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

In a couple of months we are off on a 'world tour' until next spring so we
won't be able to do anything to the allotment over autumn/winter/spring.

It would be nice to find a strategy which made the best of this fallow
period.
I presume the alternative is to spray with a weed killer after we have
lifted everything then hope that the plot doesn't get too rampant over
winter.

I have seen several mentions of 'green manure' which sounds like a good
idea.

Are there any recommendations for something which can be planted late
September/early October which will cover the plot without encroaching on our
neighbours and can be dug in after Easter next year?

TIA

Dave R

Green manure is goodonly if you can dig it in at the right time of
maturity. eg grazing rye can be a devil to dig in if it gets too
deeply rooted. Some will overwinter, some will not. I once sowed
mustard, and when it got to about 8 inches I covered the plot with
black plastic for the winter. In Spring the mustard had rotted down
and the soil was beautifully friable.
However, I would suggest hoeing it off and spreading a really good
layer of wrm. Don't use stuff that may have weed seeds in it, or
you'll find a jungle in Spring.
Just black plastic or old carpet will keep it clean.
Good luck, good travelling.

Pam in Bristol