Old 15-08-2010, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Moonraker Moonraker is offline

Default Overwinter an allotment - green manure?

On 15/08/2010 18:48, Pam Moore wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:44:17 +0100, Edex@directory wrote:

On 15/08/10 12:35, David WE Roberts wrote:
In a couple of months we are off on a 'world tour' until next spring so
we won't be able to do anything to the allotment over autumn/winter/spring.

It would be nice to find a strategy which made the best of this fallow
period.
I presume the alternative is to spray with a weed killer after we have
lifted everything then hope that the plot doesn't get too rampant over
winter.

I have seen several mentions of 'green manure' which sounds like a good
idea.

Are there any recommendations for something which can be planted late
September/early October which will cover the plot without encroaching on
our neighbours and can be dug in after Easter next year?

TIA

Dave R

Possibly Phacelia?

Too late for phacelia now, but it's a beautiful ground cover, too
pretty to dig in! I just let it seed about and flower.

Pam in Bristol

The problem is more likely to be vandals than wind, don't they have
those in Holland?