Old 16-08-2010, 10:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Overwinter an allotment - green manure?

On 15 Aug, 20:31, "Mike Lyle"
wrote:
Martin wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 19:21:02 +0200, David in Normandy
wrote:

On 15/08/2010 19:19, Martin wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:00:54 +0100 (BST),
(Nick Maclaren) wrote:

In ,
*wrote:

If it can survive the Dutch winter storms, it can survive
anything.

I rather doubt that - compared to the north-west of the UK, Holland
isn't all that windy. *It's probably windier than the south-east of
the UK, of course.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Zuid Holland in winter is extremely windy, far windier than where
my daughter lives in the north west UK.

Holland must be windier... it is full of windmills! :-)

both ancient and modern.

Blasted things! If they'd only knock them down, there'd be far less
wind.

More seriously, it doesn't take all that much wind-speed over a period
of six months or so to shift a layer of unsupervised plastic sheeting.
When you're at home, you can pop over and check every few days, and nip
any disasters in the bud. I'd weight it down with earth at very close
spacing: maybe tuck it into a narrow trench every five feet or so?

A good layer of cardboard would be good, too: it adds an extra layer of
blackout, and rots down. (I've actually done this; but not while away
from home.)

--
Mike.- Hide quoted text -

I was thinking of someone removing iot rather than the wind.
Why not just rough dig it and leavce it for the frost to work on
during the winter, though probably your soil is to fine for that to be
needed.
David Hill