Old 16-08-2010, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David WE Roberts[_2_] David WE Roberts[_2_] is offline

Default Overwinter an allotment - green manure?

"Escargo" wrote in message
"Bob Hobden" wrote in
:

snip
We always had a problem with foxes ripping anything on the ground up,
fleece didn't last 24 hours. If you use plastic sheeting then use
Mypex ground cover fabric, it lets the water/air through but stops the
weeds. More expensive but much better and more robust than plastic
sheeting, it will last a very long time and is ideal for planting
strawberries through for example.

That makes a very expensive alternative!
I wonder how long it would be before it pays for its self.

http://www.allplaz.com/

Nothing against it but what price does one draw the line between home
grown and supermarket veg?
Good old fashioned digging and weeding regime is always the most
practical and economical, but not in the op case I think.
Nice idea though, the Mypex.

At first look this doesn't look prohibitive.
The 8 metre wide black plastic at £4.41 per metre should cover a lot of
ground quite cheaply.
Now to measure up.
One slight drawback to our 5 rod plot is that it is an irregular shape.

Thanks for all the ideas.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]