Old 16-08-2010, 07:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default First ripe tomato today

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Mike Buckley wrote:

I've been picking and eating apples for a week, can't believe how late
the toms are this year.

Lucky you! I have virtually no apples this year, not even cider apples.
The only tree which has had a decent crop is one known locally as "pomme
de juillet" though the fruit doesn't really ripen until August. Normally
we ignore this tree because the fruit doesn't have much flavour but this
year we have made good use of it!

Plums are in short supply, too. Greengages are ok but there are no
Victorias.

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France