Old 16-08-2010, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default One potato, two potato .....

On 16/08/2010 22:14, David Rance wrote:
On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, David in Normandy wrote:

Has anyone here tried growing potatoes under black plastic? If so, did
you find your yield better than usual?

I think the yield would have been poor had I not been watering them
though. Not a lot of water though. I've been experimenting this year
using pee as a liquid fertiliser and mixing it around 1 part pee to 20
parts rain-butt water. Each row of potatoes had a watering/feed once a
week approximately of a single 10 litre watering can full per around
20 plants. The results have been astonishing.

The same water/pee mix has also worked wonders on the courgettes,
mangetout and runner beans. Overwhelmed with produce!

Hmm well, when I got here a fortnight ago I tried doing the same thing.
I can't say that I've noticed any great improvement. The mangetout peas
are not flourishing at all well and there are no flowers on them (last
year they were over and done with before I could get back!). The french
beans are growing very well with plenty of flowers but the beans are
growing but very slowly. Runner beans have started cropping but the
plants do look a bit straggly.

So the answer is simple - don't buy expensive fertiliser - buy wine
instead and make your own :-)

Ah, that's where I went wrong! I drank cider! But I did dilute the pee
pretty well!

David

Mine have been having the watering/feed for several months now. Maybe
it's the duration and continuity without break that's important? My
first row of mangetout finished around a month ago, the new row isn't
doing too bad, not as good as the first did, but it is a different
variety anyway which may account for it. The freezer is already full of
runner beans and chopped courgettes now. No freezer space left!

The brassicas have done very badly this year though. They haven't been
receiving the benefit of the watering/feed and have had to make due with
the very occasional shower of rain. All the broccoli has bolted without
forming proper heads. The cauliflowers are tiny as are the cabbages.

The little navet turnips have done well, but they had water/feed too.
And this year no infestation of little grub holes which normally plagues
them.

The lawns are overrun with mice of some sort. My French neighbour called
them "mulot" some sort of field mouse. There are literally hundreds of
holes everywhere. A real plague. They've eaten most of the daffodil and
tulip bulbs and the lucifers have largely been wiped out too - just pull
a sad looking stem and it comes straight out of the ground, no roots.
They've infiltrated the veg plot now and seem to be eating the potatoes
so I'd better get the rest lifted soon.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.