Old 16-08-2010, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Potatoes - how deep to dig?

David WE Roberts wrote:
There has been a lot of good information on when to lift potatoes.
However there isn't as much around on how to lift them.
Specifically, how deep to dig.

Do the new potatoes grow only at the same level or above that of the
seed potato or do they also grow significantly lower?
Given that we dug a trench, planted the seed potatoes in the trench,
eathed up level and then earthed up again to a slope the original
planting level must be around the same depth as the trench created by
the earthing up.
So do we have to go much deeper than that?
We've lifted a few (not a major yield but we are mainly growing them
to work the allotment over) and I was wondering if we had dug deep
enough or if we might have missed some.

It is quite difficult to dig deep in light friable soil without
moving the soil away from the area.

Cheers

Dave R

I'm hopelessly an amateur on this, but mine grew to below the level of the
seed potato, as far down as the roots go. I ended up scooping out dirt with
my hands until such point as I found no more spuds.

Ian