Old 17-08-2010, 06:09 AM
jimswiffy jimswiffy is offline
Registered User

I am no expert but I DID cut back my tomatoes.
The plants were so thick with foliage that the sun/bees could not get to a lot of the fruit buds. And yes you are right in thinking that you want the plants to concentrate on the fruits and not the leaves.
I only cut back from the bottom of the plants though.
As a rough guide, if there's a sign of fruit growth on a stem - obviously leave it.
Break off the leafy branches below and around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by George[_10_] View Post
I've read that "... about a month before frost, cut back the growing
tips of [indeterminate?] tomatoes ...", so as not to waste the plants'
energy on fruits that won't have time to mature. We have Cherokee
Purples, and it's getting close to that time.

But, simply put, I'm not clear on where to cut. The tip of every
stem/stalk/vine? What about flowers? What about leaves - are all
leaves an asset at the end of the season, or just those on fruit-bearing
stems?

Any insight/experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

G-