Old 17-08-2010, 09:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Buckley Mike Buckley is offline

Default First ripe tomato today

In message
,
harry writes
On 16 Aug, 15:30, Mike Buckley wrote:
I've been picking and eating apples for a week, can't believe how late
the toms are this year.

--
Mike Buckley

You need a greenhouse. I have been picking tomatoes since middle of
June.
Beans for a month in fact most are in the freezer, I will dig up the
plants in about a week after one last pick.
No fruit yet except cherries, pigeons had most of them..Some trees
have heavy crop, some have none. We had a late frost round here.

Mine are outdoors and you're probably right although no room for a full
greenhouse although I plan to remove some unused and non-flowering
plants to create space for a lean-to type against a fence[1]

I'd have veg too if the queue for allotments wasn't so long :-(

Been lucky with the apples, one fairly neglected tree fruited well last
year and has responded really well this year to winter pruning. The
other one is poorly and will be heavily pruned this winter in a last
ditch attempt to save it - all the previous growth is weak and results
in diseased leaves, all new growth is pretty good, so hopefully the
pruning will save it.

[1] Fingers crossed the 2 year old doesn't lob an apple through it in
year 1.

--
Mike Buckley
RD350LC2