Old 17-08-2010, 09:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Daddy Tadpole Daddy Tadpole is offline

Default Potatoes - how deep to dig?

"shazzbat" a écrit dans le message de

"harry" wrote in message
On 16 Aug, 15:45, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
There has been a lot of good information on when to lift potatoes.
However there isn't as much around on how to lift them.
Specifically, how deep to dig.

Do the new potatoes grow only at the same level or above that of the
seed
potato or do they also grow significantly lower?
Given that we dug a trench, planted the seed potatoes in the trench,
eathed
up level and then earthed up again to a slope the original planting
level
must be around the same depth as the trench created by the earthing up.

So do we have to go much deeper than that?
We've lifted a few (not a major yield but we are mainly growing them to
work
the allotment over) and I was wondering if we had dug deep enough or if
we
might have missed some.

It is quite difficult to dig deep in light friable soil without moving
the
soil away from the area.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

It varies with the variety. On some the potatos appear close to the
stem, on some they grow all over and quite deep. But not more than
nine or ten inches.
But one thing's guaranteed. You will miss a couple and they will
appear unexpectedly next year in an inconvenient place.

Two. Two things. The other is that the biggest/best spuds will get stabbed
by the fork or cut in two by the spade.

Those who know use a two-tined fork.

As for the OPs question, you start by digging a foot or more from the
plant and try to dig underneath the crop and lift them out. Experience
will rapidly tell you how deep to go. I prefer a fork rather than a spade
because the soil falls away as you lift and lets you see what you've got.

Steve