Old 18-08-2010, 12:30 AM posted to alt.home.lawn.garden
Willshak Willshak is offline

Default Converting an Electric Mower to Petrol

Aled Owen wrote the following:
I have a lawn which is simply too big for an electric mower to cope
with, also I hate having to mess around with the cable all the time.
Rather than buying a new mower I've looked at Briggs and Stratton
engines as well as Honda engines and it seems it would be cheaper to buy
an engine and adapt it to fit the mower.

Has anybody done this before, is it actually possible? It's got a steel
chassis not some cheap plastic rubbish (ironic considering it was pretty
cheap mower).

The only problem I can see so far is having to replace the sproket (and
perhaps blade) because the Honda engines seem to have a bigger output
shaft diameter than on the current electric engine (I've not measured it
yet I can't find my depth gauge D:, all in good time though)

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Aled

You might find that it is cheaper to buy a gas mower than to convert
what you have to gas.