Old 17-08-2010, 09:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle Mike Lyle is offline

Default Plant Pot

Mr Pounder wrote:
"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Mr Pounder" wrote in message
Greetings all.

I am useless at gardening.

I would like to put one of those big stone plants pots in my back
garden and fill it with plants that will give me colour all year
round. Perennial.

Nice simple suggestions appreciated.

Are you absolutely sure you need perennials?
The pot will still need maintenace to feed and weed and it is
unlikely that you will be able to just plant it up then leave it
forever. These days it is very easy to plant up bedding a couple of
times a
year, and there are loads in the garden shops.
For example, winter pansies for flowers over winter, then remove
them and replace them with geraniums and other bedding plants in
summer. It shouldn't be a lot of work and could keep you in
attractive
flowers most of the year.

Alternatively, put in plastic flowers for zero maintenance :-)

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Thanks for that.
I will go for what you have suggested ----- not the plastic stuff :-)
Is it too early to plant daffodils in my front garden?

Don't blame yourself if the winter pansies don't flower non-stop, but
they should come back in the spring if they take a break. I suggest a
nice dwarf evergreen shrub to give you some continuity. By all means put
your daffodils in now: most bulbs are best planted as soon as you can
get them, though most of them are very forgiving.

--
Mike.