Old 18-08-2010, 06:23 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Ten mistakes concerning tomatoes

"David Hare-Scott" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"The Cook" wrote in message

I can plain tomatoes, various pasta sauces, salsa, relishes. If it
was listed in a canning book I probably tried it. Also gave away a
lot.

Have you ever made tomato jam?

Tomato jam is the best use for all the green ones left on the plant at the
end of season when you pull them out. Yum.

I've been meaning to try green fried tomato but have not yet gotten around
to it when we have some to try. Now, with your recommendation, I'll need to
add tom jam to that list or round to-its.

Our green toms tend to get used in Green tom pickle but I don't like that
pickle nearly as much as my rich fruit chutney that uses ripe toms - I used
to have to post jars of it to an elderly friend which turned out to be
damned expensive given the cost of postage.