Old 18-08-2010, 07:15 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany
Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] is offline

Default box elder bug link?? Dutch Elm Disease Hypothesis-- maplesare hosts of the vectors

Mike Griggs wrote:
In article
,
Archimedes Plutonium wrote:

Now I wonder if there is a link between boisea trivittata, box elder
bug, and ascomycete
microfungi the fungus that causes Dutch Elm Disease, DED. I looked at
the elm bark
beetle and it is about 5 mm long whereas the box elder bug is 12mm
long. So is there some
link and is there a greater frequency of DED where maples are present?

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/

Just get to a library & do a literature search! There is no
correlation --DED vectored from tree to tree by two bark beetles!

Well, Mike, you live in upstate NY near Cornell and there are plenty
of maples there.
There are plenty of maples throughout the northern US and Canada. And
is it not true,
or is it true that the worst DED is in the Northern US + Canada, and
the least DED
is in the Southern US? In fact, I would guess that ulmus thomasii is
faring far better
in the Southern US than in its native geography of the Great Lakes
states.

Am I not correct, that the worst DED is in the Northern USA + Canada
as per frequency
of elm elimination of those species most vulnerable, americana,
racemosa (thomasii)?

If I am correct on that data, then there must be an answer for it. And
the answer looks to
me to be that maples somehow host the DED. Because maples are out of
their range
in the Southern USA.

I suspect it is highly reasonable to think we only know about 1/2 of
the disease cycle of DED
and the other 1/2 we have yet to learn.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/