Old 18-08-2010, 09:41 PM
thornyrose thornyrose is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
Looks like a Black Locust tree to me (Robinia pseudoacacia). Like a real Acacia its really a 'weed' tree and has nitrogen fixing bacteria on its shallow root system, (Also like a Birch). This enables it to grow...fast!!!...even in stoney unfertile ground. When its starts getting larger the roots especially become a real problem, especially since it suckers so freely from the rootstock.

Nice tree though I reckon but watch for those roots!!! Albizia julibrissin is an alternative to try if the Robinia gets too big - its definitely a lot hardier than its made out to be! (Survived -16 here for two weeks) and has delicate Acacia like foliage, although deciduous.
Many thanks for your help. I'll do a bit of research now I know what to look up. Yeah, it's certainly a fast grower, too fast for my liking. Cheers.