Old 19-08-2010, 09:20 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellison View Post
After discussion with neighbours the trees were chopped down to stump level to stop them creating shade in our, and everyone elses, gardens. After a couple of weeks shoots sprouted all over our lawn (like a foot high forest in our garden). Neighbours on both sides, and at the back, (and apparently even further afield) also have these shoots all over their lawns, and also roots are disturbing patios and shed bases!

How much of getting rid of our roots, and our roots in neighbours garden, is our responsibility considering the stumps are actually on our land? Will we foot the bill? We were not aware of the trouble the trees would cause when we purchased the property.
Poplar trees are one of the most troublesome in gardens - they grow very large and have very inquisitive roots. They really should not be grown anywhere near houses. Unfortunately you didn't know that and bought a house with 3 in your garden.

I have not heard of a case of people having to pay to remove roots from neighbours' gardens. For example, some foolish people have planted the extremely invasive bamboo Sasa palmata (really ought to be banned), and I don't think their neighbours can sue them for it. In any case it is probably impractical as they probably have a huge root system. But the fact that your neighbours agreed to you cutting the trees down is a considerable protection against any complaint.

I suspect that applying stump killer to the stump won't prevent the more remote suckers, it will just prevent the reactivation of the tree in the immediate vicinity of the stump. I've had roots shoot when I cut a tree down (not a poplar), and after religiously mowing them off for three years or so they eventually stopped coming.