Old 19-08-2010, 06:56 AM posted to sci.bio.misc,sci.bio.botany
Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] Archimedes Plutonium[_2_] is offline

Default story about elm recovery Dutch Elm Disease Hypothesis-- maplesare hosts of the vectors

Now I heard this story about an elm recovery from DED (Dutch Elm
Disease) where there were few to zero maples in the region. Where a
few elm had been attacked with the DED
and those limbs were removed and then the elm making full recovery and
growing to fill
in what it had lost. I have never heard of such a good luck ending
story of any other
elm tree attacked by DED. So there must be an explanation for this,
and it cannot be
good luck, because it is an entire region of elms in the absence of
maples.

And there is another datum that begs for explanation. I cannot say how
widespread
this data is, but only for the state of Wisconsin which can be
considered the central
homeland, native homeland of Ulmus thomasii, the cork elm. I have been
told that
none of the cork-elm in Wisconsin is producing seeds anymore, or at
least, many eager persons wanting to collect seed in Wisconsin have
seen none for years now. And this
is why I keep harping on a plan in case the cork-elm is going extinct,
is to be able to
graft the species for years into the future until DED is conquered.

But the thing about the DED and the possibility that no cork elm in
the northern US and
Canada is producing seed anymore, if that be true, implies that the
DED has some
sort of destruction on the ability to produce seed, years before the
elm actually dies of
DED.

So I wonder if these two issues are also connected with the elms that
grow in the southern
USA, of about Missouri and south, whether the elms no longer produce
seed in the southern
states and whether the elms in the southern states can recover a DED
attack by cutting out the affected limbs and the whole tree growing
back?

So that the above, if all true, suggests that we know so little of the
full picture of how the
fungus kills the elm species and that there maybe involved so maple
hosts.

As I noted previously, both the elm and maple in geological times were
indigenous to Asia
and that the Siberian Elm is DED resistant, suggesting that DED killed
off most of the Asian elms leaving only the resistant ones, and that
the maples in Asia had some role. So that North America and Europe are
now repeating that sort of evolution of resistance on their
elms which had already played out in Asia a long time ago.

Archimedes Plutonium
http://www.iw.net/~a_plutonium/