Old 19-08-2010, 08:35 AM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.gardens
Bob Hobden[_3_] Bob Hobden[_3_] is offline

Default Please name this plant

"thornyrose" wrote
Sambo;897766 Wrote:
Looks like a Black Locust tree to me (Robinia pseudoacacia). Like a
real Acacia its really a 'weed' tree and has nitrogen fixing bacteria on
its shallow root system, (Also like a Birch). This enables it to
grow...fast!!!...even in stoney unfertile ground. When its starts
getting larger the roots especially become a real problem, especially
since it suckers so freely from the rootstock.

Nice tree though I reckon but watch for those roots!!! Albizia
julibrissin is an alternative to try if the Robinia gets too big - its
definitely a lot hardier than its made out to be! (Survived -16 here
for two weeks) and has delicate Acacia like foliage, although deciduous.

Many thanks for your help. I'll do a bit of research now I know what to
look up. Yeah, it's certainly a fast grower, too fast for my liking.
Cheers.

If you are in the UK you may have a problem with Albizia julibrissin with
our maritime type climate. Whilst it can certainly take cold in a
continental type climate, like a lot of plants, it does not like our usual
winters of daily up and down temperatures coupled with wet. Needs a well
drained soil in winter (i.e. not clay) with moisture in summer. Can't say
I've seen one at Kew.
The Silk Tree is certainly beautiful both in leaf and flower and worth a
try, probably turn into a large shrub instead of a tree here if it survives.
Easy to grow from seed IME.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden