Old 19-08-2010, 04:54 PM
Aisne-E-where Aisne-E-where is offline
Registered User

Default No hope - mid August all the leaves have come off ...

I am new to gardening. I have NO clue, honestly ....

I planted two pear trees in winter and have kept them hydrated (Abatte and Comice). Two weeks ago the leaves started turning black.

Imageshack - img1817jl.jpg
a target='_blank' href='http://img33.imageshack.us/i/img1822kw.jpg/'img src='http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/7387/img1822kw.th.jpg' border='0'//a

Uploaded with a target='_blank' href='http://imageshack.us'ImageShack.us/a

Most of the leaves, about 80% fell off the trees and yesterday I went back to the garden centre to ask what should be done. The guy was very friendly and he told me :

- to cut all the leaves off and burn them
- the scratch the branches to see if they are green underneath.

He suggested it may be a fungal infection.

Do you think this is good advice? It seems at bit drastic to me.

What are the chances of the leaves returning next spring?
What should I do differently next year?

Thanks for ANY help. As I already mentioned - I am a beginner with all this.