Old 19-08-2010, 04:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
mleblanca mleblanca is offline

Default bushes that bloom often

Yes, India Hawthorn, Osmanthus, and tobira might be just a little
tender,
but zone 7b is pretty close to zone 8. All are evergreen.

Azaleas look nice all year with not too much work. I don't know how
reliable
the rebloomers are. I have seen them here in nursery, but not seen
many
in yards blooming. They are pretty tough plants

Glossy Abelia Abelia grandiflora is a good tough plant, blooming all
summer
and into winter, if mild temps. If you do not shear it or prune it
into a meatball,
it will make a lovely arching shrub loved by hummers and butterflies.
Pretty small pinkish flowers that are not a mess to clean up. Light
scent.

Butterfly Bush is an all summer bloomer, but doewn't look good in
winter.
(Buddleia)

There are many Viburnums that might work. THose that don't bloom
often,
will have colorful berries instead. (some are deciduous and some are
evergreen) V. tinus is nice and also has pretty blue berries. Blooms
early
here. V. davidii is nice too.

Emilie
NorCal