Old 20-08-2010, 11:52 AM
echinosum echinosum is offline
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
Wallabies in the peak district...Boa constrictors in the Florida everglades..animals are a lot more resilient and a lot more secretive, especially if they are afraid of humans, than we give them credit for.
I've come across several recent references to the Peak District wallabies, but they died out about 10 years ago. There is a more persistent colony of wallabies on an island in Loch Lomond, conditions which can perhaps be compared to a zoo enclosure. About 5 years ago the govt estimated the UK population of red-necked wallabies to be 29, of which 28 were on the island in Loch Lomond, and the other was a fairly recent escape somewhere like Bedfordshire. I think more recently there have been a handful escaped somewhere down in the west country.