Old 20-08-2010, 09:54 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default I've got honey bees

"Balvenieman" wrote in message
General Schvantzkoph wrote:

In other good news, I have a concord grape arbor in my yard. This morning
I noticed that it was swarming with honey bees.

In what way is that "good" news? You have a problem: Because of
their herding behavior that leads to total domination of food sources,
AWA their spreading of diseases and infestations (mites) against which
native populations have no defenses, European honeybees are decimating
native solitary bee (such as bumblebee) populations; how, one might well
ask, is that a "good" thing?

It probably depends on the importance you put on the survival of a huge slab
of the human race. Personally, I think humanity needs a good scourge, but
most people don't see it the same way as I do. I reckon that at least half
of the human race could disappear and that that would be a good thing. Bees
are important when it comes to feeding humans so those European honey bees
are needed as part of the feeding process regardless of whether we have a
scourge or not.