Old 20-08-2010, 04:12 PM posted to rec.gardens
Frank Frank is offline

Default Annual Ryegrass

On Aug 19, 9:39*pm, "James" no wrote:
I have a vacation cabin in the mountains of NC, at 4200 feet elevation.

In early June, I planted annual ryegrass, in a partly shaded area. *It came
up in about *15-20 days, and was **real* *thick and green.

We then left the mountain and returned in early August. *The ryegrass was
all gone !!

Why didn't the grass last all summer? * Did it have enough sunlight to
germinate, but then die back because of too much shade ?

There was a drought of several weeks in early July, but that was after the
seed had germinated, and looked good.

What is the most likely reason the ryegrass was strong and thick in early
June, but totally gone by early August ?

Thanks !!

James

Deer will eat grass but it would not be a favorite food and in the
summer, the whole world is one big salad bar to them. I, too, doubt
that critters are your problem.