Old 20-08-2010, 08:51 PM posted to rec.gardens
Higgs Boson Higgs Boson is offline

Default Good trellis plants - snapdragons?

On Aug 19, 11:46*pm, Higgs Boson wrote:
On Aug 18, 9:26*pm, "David E. Ross" wrote:

On 8/18/10 8:17 PM, Paul M. Cook wrote:

I'm liking the idea of creepers and snapdragons. *Literature says they don't
require especially great soil. *They sound perfect to me.

Grapes take some work. *If you want fruit, they take severe pruning in
the winter. *During the growing season, they might have to be tied to
the trellis. *Errant shoots will have to be pinched to promote more
bushy growth.

I'm not saying that grapes are bad. *I have three vines of my own. *I
just know how much work is involved to get ripe grapes for eating.

Yet, on another NG

No, what's wrong with me -- it was on THIS NG!

*you suggested an arbor for shade in a
"recreational island" I am planning for my back yard, and suggested
grapes to cover it. *Several varieties, in fact.

If there's that much work involved to get ripe grapes for eating,
maybe I should use a *fast-grown non-food plant instead. *??

* HB