Old 20-08-2010, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bob Hobden Bob Hobden is offline

Default Potatoes for alkaline soil

"Vegegrower" wrote

Can anyone suggest a good variety please.

I've tried first early Rockets but they didn't yield well and were quite
"crumbly" after boiling.

Rocket is considered a waxy potato. Due to the very dry weather whilst they
were growing this year most early (FE) spuds were a bit floury and I expect
the second earlies (SE) and the maincrops (MC) to be likewise to some
extent, despite watering. Make excellent roast potatoes though so it's not
all bad. :-)

I'm afraid there is no alternative to trial and experiment, potatoes are
also very dependant on soil type so you just have to try different varieties
until you find one you like and that grows well for you. We moved allotment
5 years ago and are still trying varieties although Kestrel (SE) has again
proved excellent.
Orla (FE) did well for us this year despite the weather but Premier was a
disaster; we have acid clay/silt so useless information for you.

The list on this site may be of some use....
http://www.charlton-park.co.uk/potatoes.html

--
Regards
Bob Hobden