Old 20-08-2010, 07:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David Rance David Rance is offline

Default Bay leaf & Yew

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:

We have a Bay tree that has grown in a bit of a tangle with a Yew
tree. We often use bay leaf for flavouring. There is no possibility of
us confusing the leaves but today we were told that the Bay could be
poisonous because it is so close to the Yew.

I don't think that is likely but I must ask the experts in this group.
Could a Bay pick up poison from a Yew?

No. It's not like picking up a poisonous substance from the soil. I have
raspberries growing underneath a yew tree and have never had any
ill-effects from the raspberries!

David

--
David Rance
writing from Le Mesnil Villement, Calvados, France