Old 20-08-2010, 10:14 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ian B[_3_] Ian B[_3_] is offline

Default Black marks on boiled (shop bought) potatoes?

harry wrote:
On 20 Aug, 18:54, Apples wrote:
Never really noticed it before this year, but a few times I have
boiled potatoes they start developing black marks/stains the more
they boil. The spuds looked clean with no blights after I peel them.
Anything to worry about and why?

Blight.

Is that always the cause of black marks? I now feel quite ill at some spuds
I've eaten.

Talking of which, I got a bag of king edwards a while ago from Sainsburys
that had something very wrong with them; sort of raised roundels that looked
like craters on an asteroid. I tried cooking a couple (yes, I am rather dim)
and they tasted horrible. I don't know anything about potato diseases, but
there was definitely something weird there, like some kind of scab or
something.

Ian