Old 21-08-2010, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
harry harry is offline

Default Black marks on boiled (shop bought) potatoes?

On 20 Aug, 22:14, "Ian B" wrote:
harry wrote:
On 20 Aug, 18:54, Apples wrote:
Never really noticed it before this year, but a few times I have
boiled potatoes they start developing black marks/stains the more
they boil. The spuds looked clean with no blights after I peel them.
Anything to worry about and why?

Blight.

Is that always the cause of black marks? I now feel quite ill at some spuds
I've eaten.

Talking of which, I got a bag of king edwards a while ago from Sainsburys
that had something very wrong with them; sort of raised roundels that looked
like craters on an asteroid. I tried cooking a couple (yes, I am rather dim)
and they tasted horrible. I don't know anything about potato diseases, but
there was definitely something weird there, like some kind of scab or
something.

Ian

Scab is what it's called. All benefits of organic farming.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato_blight
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powdery_scab
Or if you want a comprehensive list of everything that can go wrong:-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_potato_diseases
Don't worry, you won't die. :-)