Old 20-04-2003, 06:13 AM

Default Water Hardness and plant growth

(Carmine J. Ventura JR) wrote in message . com...
Does hard water affect plant growth ? Just tested mine and it was
about 300ppm.
Got some good filtered water, did a 20% change, and retested, it is
going down. Can high water hardness stunt plant growth ?

No.
As a rule, I have had much better results growing plants in hard water
vs soft water.
CO2 is the issue.
While there are some *possible* exceptions and very few (maybe one or
two) as a rule most plants like hard water from what I've seen in the
field where aquatic plants grow and do well.
You are talking about GH here? My Gh was around 450ppm. Some locations
I've seen nice plant growth(swords, stem plants etc) have been over
700ppm.

KH is another matter.
Regards,
Tom Barr