Old 21-08-2010, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Big cat on news tonight

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2010-08-20 22:23:25 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message , Christina Websell
writes
"hugh" ] wrote in message

From my experience having judged at Crufts
Wow! You did? Fantastic! What breeds did you judge? It is really
lifetime achievement to do that.

If you see commas where there aren't any then it's not surprising you
can't tell a cat from a dog.

is not necessarily any endorsement for being able to recognise a
dog.
I can assure you that anyone who is invited to judge at Crufts
knows the
difference between the gait of a cat and a dog that runs across the road in
front of their car.
I don't understand your hostility, is it a perceived class thing?

Eh?
Having been involved in show dogs for over 22 years I have met all
levels of people from all sorts of backgrounds who have judged at
Crufts. "Class" doesn't come into it except perhaps in your mind- it's
a competence thing and many who have judged at crufts have never had
the privilege of going over my dogs because I had no interest in their opinion.

HOW I wish the Crufts judge who lived just up the lane from us was
still alive. I can imagine her remarks if she saw this sort of
nonsense from someone claiming to have judged at Crufts!

Your reading of sentences is about as accurate as your husbands
observations of small animals.

I think your friend would have readily agreed with my comments. You on
the other hand obviously know nothing about the dog show world.
It's a fact that some people

....claim to....
have seen large cats, including my husband who is not given to an
over-wrought imagination or taking fright in the dark. He's more than
used to walking around in the pitch dark checking the nursery so a
domestic cat is hardly likely to be an object of alarm and amazement.

As somebody else has already explained in great detail the human
cognitive system is very unreliable in certain situations and prone to
exaggeration.

--
hugh
common sense." Buddha