Old 21-08-2010, 11:17 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
hugh hugh is offline

Default Big cat on news tonight

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

My labrador was entered at Crufts, an I sometimes think the judges look
at the wrong end of the lead!

Bill

Unfortunately, I have to agree that this does happen sometimes. *If* the
judge is not ethical and an exhibitor will soon be a judge at another
championship show where they will be entering their own dog. My friend does
not do that.
Neither do I. I used to judge and gave best of breed to a dog that was
winning a lot and had a big fault, purely because she was the best of a bad
bunch.

A common weakness amongst judges. All firsts look the same in the record
books. You do have the option to withhold awards if you feel the dogs
are not of a sufficiently good standard.

I do know judges who have done that and whilst they attract hostility
from the exhibitors on the day they do ultimately gain more respect and
it never seemed to diminish their prospects of future invitations to
judge
I was horrified to find that when I entered my own dog when this person was
judging some time later, I won my class and the report she sent to the dog
newspapers - the dog's critique - was *identical* to the one I'd sent in for
her dog, except of course she changed "her" to "him"

Critiques quite often are full of all the expected clichés and bear
little resemblance to the actual judging
snip
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha