Old 22-08-2010, 12:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,alt.home.repair,uk.legal
George[_4_] George[_4_] is offline

Default Humorous true work story

On 8/21/2010 11:18 AM, harry wrote:
On Aug 21, 3:09 pm, wrote:
On 8/21/2010 9:34 AM, Evan Platt wrote:

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 12:08:48 -0400,
wrote:

Yeah I find it funnier than hell that a glass installer would take several
hours to do the job. If he can't do the job in thirty minutes or less, he'd
be kicked off my property for sure.

I find it funnier than hell that you think you know how long it should
take to replace the window on a car.

Maybe he had a few replaced or knows more than you think? A competent
installer can easily replace a windshield in 30 minutes. My guess his
was more of a comment on the "heybub" style "true story"

Most European cars have the windscreens glued in theses days. It
takes more than half an hour to get the old screen out and scrape the
glue off.

I think all or at least the great majority are glued in and that really
doesn't present a problem for a competent installer. About this time
last year I hit a large bird and all of the damage was to the
windshield. I called a third generation local glass place and told him I
was going on a trip and asked how soon he could replace it. He said
first thing next morning was no good but how about 8:30 because he
needed to get the replacement glass. I handed him the keys at 8:30 and
said I would go for a walk. He called at 9 and said the job was done.
It looked like new and he even reattached the two inspection stickers
and the velcro like stuff for the EZpass. A year has gone by with no
leaks or issues.