Old 22-08-2010, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Christina Websell[_2_] Christina Websell[_2_] is offline

Default Big cat on news tonight

On 2010-08-20 22:23:25 +0100, hugh ] said:

In message , Christina Websell
writes

"hugh" ] wrote in message

From my experience having judged at Crufts

Wow! You did? Fantastic! What breeds did you judge? It is really a
lifetime achievement to do that.

If you see commas where there aren't any then it's not surprising you
can't tell a cat from a dog.

is not necessarily any endorsement for being able to recognise a dog.

I can assure you that anyone who is invited to judge at Crufts knows the
difference between the gait of a cat and a dog that runs across the road
in
front of their car.
I don't understand your hostility, is it a perceived class thing?

Eh?

Having been involved in show dogs for over 22 years I have met all levels
of people from all sorts of backgrounds who have judged at Crufts.
"Class" doesn't come into it except perhaps in your mind- it's a
competence thing and many who have judged at crufts have never had the
privilege of going over my dogs because I had no interest in their
opinion.

HOW I wish the Crufts judge who lived just up the lane from us was still
alive. I can imagine her remarks if she saw this sort of nonsense from
someone claiming to have judged at Crufts! It's a fact that some people
have seen large cats, including my husband who is not given to an
over-wrought imagination or taking fright in the dark. He's more than
used to walking around in the pitch dark checking the nursery so a
domestic cat is hardly likely to be an object of alarm and amazement.
--

My friend ( who really does know a dog when she sees one even though she has
judged at Crufts!) would agree with you, Sacha.

Tina