Old 22-08-2010, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Clematis cirrhosa suckering

I have had C. cirrhosa (it may be 'balearica') for over 10 years. It grows
and flowers very well. This year I have noticed several suckers appearing -
one over 2 metres from the original plant. I've dug a few of these up, and
they are on roots (8 - 10 mm diameter) from the original plant. There are
few or no feeding roots on these suckers, or where they come off the main
roots. I've potted them up and hat a good success rate - one loss and 4
growing on well.

I can find no mention of C. cirrhosa forming suckers (or any other clematis
for that matter). These are definitely suckers - not new plants formed from
layering. Has anyone else growing this plant ever noted it forming suckers?

--

Jeff