Old 22-08-2010, 10:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Bumper crops or not

Pete wrote:
Well not me - it has got to be the best year for a long time. Broad beans,
runner beans, carrots, sweetcorn, leeks, celery, shallots and onions (plus
tomatoes in the greenhouse) - they have all been magnificent so we are
having a busy time freezing/pickling/soup making.

OUr sweetcorn have had an odd time - they have as much fruit as normal, but
the plants are much much smaller, and on opening them, they are only half
formed (but not in the patchy 'not fertilised' way, possibly not enough
water).
Beans are doing ok, peas have been ok (apart from us not getting time to
pick them!) and soft fruit other than strawberries have been excellent.
Strawberries came and went too fast. :-(
Courgettes, particularly the round ones, have been excellent, but it seems
to be 50-50 depending on who you ask! A lot of people have said it's been a
terrible year.
Onions and garlic have also done quite well. (from sets)