Old 23-08-2010, 08:10 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default It's not Just Joel Salatin anymore

"Thos" wrote in message
Are you seriously saying that you support fish that eat chicken shit?

Many vegetable plants 'eat' chicken shit (or horse shit or cow shit or many
other types of shit) and they in turn are eaten by humans.

Seriously...
This is just one more reason why I consider you an idiot.

"To each his own" said the old woman as she kissed the cow.

"Billy" wrote in message
Sci Am, April 2010

Breaking the Growth Habit
by Bill McKibben

For the past quarter of a century, despite the rapid spread of
massive-scale agribusiness farming, pesticides and genetically
engineered crops, the amount of grain per person has been dropping.
Serious people have begun to rethink small-scale agriculture, to produce
lots of food on relatively small farms with little or nothing in the way
of synthetic fertilizer or chemicals.

The new agriculture often works best when it combines fresh knowledge
with older wisdom. In Bangladesh a new chicken coop produces not just
eggs and meat, but waste that feeds a fishpond, which in turn produces
thousands of kilograms of protein annually, and a healthy crop of water
hyacinths that are fed to a small herd of cows, whose dung in turn
fires a biogas cooking system.

In Malawi, tiny fishponds that recycle waste from the rest of a farm
yield on average about 1,500 kilograms offish. In Madagascar, rice
farmers working with European experts have figured out ways to increase
yields. They transplant seedlings weeks earlier than is customary, space
the plants farther apart, and keep the paddies unflooded during most of
the growing season. That means they have to weed more, but it also
increases yields fourfold to sixfold. An estimated 20,000 farmers have
adopted the full system.

In Craftsbury, Vt., Pete Johnson has helped pioneer year-round farming.
Johnson has built solar greenhouses and figured out how to move them on
tracks. He now can cover and uncover different fields and grow greens 10
months of the year without any fossil fuels, allowing him to run his
community-supported agriculture farm continuously.

I'm not arguing for local food because it tastes better or because it's
better for you. I'm arguing that we have no choice. In a world more
prone to drought and flood, we need the resilience that comes with three
dozen different crops in one field, not a vast ocean of corn or
soybeans. In a world where warmth spreads pests more efficiently, we
need the resilience of many local varieties and breeds. And in a world
with less oil, we need the kind of small, mixed farms that can provide
their own fertilizer and build their own soil.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude