Old 23-08-2010, 03:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mentalguy2k8[_2_] Mentalguy2k8[_2_] is offline

Default How attracted are pets to snail/slug pellets?

I've had enough of getting up every morning to find big holes in all my
plants... I've tried rounding the snails up at midnight by torchlight,
dumping them a few hundred yards away but I've just noticed a couple of my
plants have literally dozens of tiny baby snails stuck all over them, and
I've had enough. It's them or me!!

I've put my humane compassion aside & put down some of the metaldehyde
pellets in the obvious places, taking care to cover them or put them in
inaccessible (for pets) places like down the side of the shed and
underneath, and in all the potted plants that are off the ground.

Question is, does anyone have any experience with dogs or cats sniffing them
out and eating them? I don't think my dog (and the neighbourhood cats) can
get to them, but would an animal work hard to get at them? I get the feeling
I'm going to need another application within a week or two, but I don't want
to risk putting them in the best places if the stupid dog is going to eat
them.