Old 23-08-2010, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Spider[_3_] Spider[_3_] is offline

Default How attracted are pets to snail/slug pellets?

On 23/08/2010 16:59, Stephen Wolstenholme wrote:
On Mon, 23 Aug 2010 16:23:02 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

Did you find the pellets effective?

Not really. They kill slugs on contact but there always seems to be
more live ones lurking about.

The only slug/snail-resistant plants I seem to have in my garden are weeds!!

My garden has slowly reached a balance of slug free plants. I think
the majority are plants that I would describe as a bit too rough for
slugs to eat. Then there are a lot of very small bushes. At the moment
the flowering areas are dominated by geraniums and Saponaria that
slugs don't touch.

Everything else has big holes in the leaves, and various shoots chewed off
at the base. I even used an old shelving unit to put the more fragile plants
onto, but they're chewed as well and there is "snail poo" all over the top
of it. Last week I found a slug in a hanging basket, he must have climbed a
6-foot fence and made his way along the bracket into the plant

They're determined little critters!

I have seen snails climbing up the house walls. It's a mystery what
they are looking for.

Steve

I had always assumed they were taking on calcium/minerals/?whatever? to
build up and strengthen their shells as they grow.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London