Old 25-08-2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Billy[_10_] Billy[_10_] is offline

Default Pepino Melon

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

Jimgentracer wrote:
does anyone know anything about growing these?

I was given one as a present

have watered it and its had a lot of son,, keeps producing yellow
flowers with a small acorn sized fruit appearing behind them

Days later the fruit turns yellow and falls off

How big is the fruit?

maybe its full grown

I have had troub le locating an image of the plant

any ideas will gratefully be recieved

I have put two links below for you to see what I have

http://tinyurl.com/382yysr

http://tinyurl.com/2vkqb75

Hope that you can identify the plant from those

Thanks for any help

Before we descend into common name confusion hell is this what you are
talking about?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pepino

If so search on Solanum muricatum and you will no doubt get much more
information.

The photos you supplied do not look like that to me, yours looks like a
cucurbit not a solanum. Where did you get it? What did the supplier call
it?

David

It looks like squash to me. Do you have pollinators? Fruit setting,
turning yellow, and falling off the vine while young, sounds as if it
wasn't pollinated. You should start hand pollinating to assure yourself
that this isn't the problem. The only climbing squash that I'm familiar
with is the genus Cucurbita moschata.
--
- Billy
http://www.democracynow.org/2010/7/2/maude